Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Thing About Birthdays...





I still remember my 7th birthday.  Dressed in a frilly white dress, edged with pink lace and a pink ribbon in my hair, it was one of my happiest birthday parties.


Our huge garden was decorated with colorful balloons, people were everywhere and the birthday song played in the background. I welcomed my friends, eyed the growing pile of presents with excitement and had lots of fun.


Today, way past my 7th birthday and decades older, so much as changed. There certainly is no excitement about a birthday, I certainly don't want to be  reminded of being a year older. Then again, like they say, age is just a number and I feel young,  happy and absolutely healthy and that is what counts.


Spending quality time with my family celebrating my birthday, has made it special. Receiving messages, phone calls and flowers from relatives and friends, makes me feel loved. While I revel in the attention, I am also humbled and overwhelmed.


For a couple of years now, I have cut the birthday cake without having candles on it...my excuse is that the cake won't have space for all the candles and it takes way too many puffs and  energy to blow them all out. 


I also have an argument with my children, who keep wanting to buy me gifts and like I tell them, no gift can compare to having them in my life. 


Needless to say, when they throw that line back at me, when it comes to their birthdays, saying that having a mum like me is all they need, I don't listen, but then I am the mother and I have the final word, like it or not! When it comes to hubby, I often get what I want, without having to wait for a birthday, so we stopped the gift exchange years ago.


Also now that I am older and definitely a little wiser, I realize while candles,  balloons and gifts add a certain ambiance to a birthday celebration, it doesn't take away from the spirit of the occasion. 


When I have a loving family to celebrate with, share conversation and laughter and feel that bond of togetherness, what can be more perfect than that? 


So as I reflect on what a wonderful day it was, I am filled with a deep sense of gratitude for all that life has given me.


So thankful, so blessed.
















No comments:

Post a Comment