Monday, July 9, 2012

My life....so my way?


Can I really live  life my way, my terms, any which way I want?


Well, in my dreams I certainly can, but in reality, easier said than done.

Call it a culture thing, but as a woman, you can't separate yourself from the family unit that you are a part of. You can't ignore the fact that you are a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother and your life is entwined with others, your decisions impact others, either positively or negatively.


Many a time, we put our loved ones before ourselves, without even thinking twice about it. Sometimes though, it is at the cost of our dreams, our desires and happiness and we short change ourselves.


Our dreams are lost, our own personal growth stunted, our desires squashed, leaving an unfulfilled emptiness, that aches to be filled.


However, that emptiness looms large, once the children have grown and you have more time on your hands. That is when it hits, that although you have raised your children well and are happy about their achievements, for yourself, what have you achieved?


You have involved yourself so much in their lives, that you have lost your own identity.


But I have realized it doesn't have to be that way. We have it within us and we should  pursue our goals and touch the skies, but for that we need the support of our loved us. 


It is important that they understand our needs, our desires, our hopes and dreams and the importance of establishing our individuality.


Will they understand? Those who do will encourage and support us in our endeavors, while others, who refuse to move forward with time, still think that a woman's place is simply within the home.

As women, why do we always have to fight to establish our place in society?

No comments:

Post a Comment