Sunday, March 30, 2014

When my heart speaks, I listen...



My heart and head are at loggerheads once again with each other.

If they think it is funny to mess around with my thought process, their sense of humour leaves a lot to be desired. Quite frankly, it is in bad taste and I am just not amused.

It really drives me round the bend and I can never fathom how they staunchly agree to disagree every time I have to make a serious decision.

More often than not though, my heart’s decision, overrides logic, much to the chagrin of my head.

For as long as I can remember, my heart has ruled my head, in regard to friendships, relationships, career choices and most definitely when it came to love.

In the bargain I endured many emotional upheavals and realised, a bit too late, that I had made a wrong decision, based on the ‘heart’ of the moment, so to speak!

However, at the time, my heart knew what I wanted and what would make me most happy.

I have to admit rather sheepishly though, that my head knows what is best for me, but I would rather have something that makes me happy than something that is good for me.

When it comes to love, can anything be more romantic than listening and following through with a decision, after listening to your heart.

Emotions, after all, are just as powerful as our instincts and sometimes, they do have their way of guiding us to the right direction.

It has been said that the reason why your brain is placed above your heart is because you need to use it first before you let emotions get the best of you.
While listening to the heart and following your emotions is good, it can also be a problem.

If you always rely on your heart to give you the answers that you need, you are also more vulnerable to making wrong decisions.

Emotions are almost always driven by what we want. People see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear and feel what they want to feel.

Seriously though, it wouldn’t hurt to think things through before you make decisions, because the head controls your judgement.

If my head was to rule my heart, I would be able to think more logically than emotionally but I just don’t function that way.

Maybe the best thing would be to use both my head and heart, given that I have been blessed with both, so it seems rather a waste not to use them.
Why then, despite my share of disappointments and heartache, am I none the wiser?

Why do I always rely more on the emotions of my heart, rather than the practical and logical explanations of my head?

It is probably because I am and always will be a hopeless romantic.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not oblivious to the stark realities of the world around me, but I opt to cocoon myself in my own little world.

I am a day dreamer with dazzling stars in my eyes and a song in my heart and I truly believe in the power of my dreams.

I spin dreams that give my life meaning and purpose and make me happy, because without them life would be reduced to a hollow existence.

I am also well aware based on past experiences that I should tread with caution now, weigh the pros and cons, but knowing me, I will in all likelihood, still listen to the yearnings of my heart.

As novelist Paulo Coelho aptly said:


 “Listen to your heart. Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you'll find your treasure."

No comments:

Post a Comment